Sunday 8 April 2012

Back brakes

Did a small job that I've done lots of times on other cars and it's taken hardly any time. Fitted new rear brake pads. When I fitted the Wilwood kit to the front (see previous posts), I had worried that the brakes would be too frontward biased and sought to correct this to a degree with fitting more aggressive rear pads. So I bought some Mintex 1144's.  So I thought, whip the wheels off (4 bolts a side), whip the rear callipers off (2 bolts a side) and take old pads out and put new in. For whatever reason it was not like this. For a start the old brake pads had hardly any wear, being maybe a couple of mm thinner than the new ones, so I had a sinking feeling I was wasting my time, but when I got the pads out and new in, the callipers wouldn't go over the disks. Lots of head scratching later (and more practically, working the pistons back into the calliper as much as possible) I resorted to sanding down the brake pads with a belt sander. This kept the pads level at least, but because I was trying to take off as little as possible, the pads went in and out of the callipers many times. So what should have been really quick took a very long time.

I finally got it all back together with the brakes binding slightly (well, quite a bit actually), and went out for a spin. After a while, the smell of burning brake pad calmed down a bit and the binding went away. Brakes are first class now - properly bled and virtually new all round.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers