Thursday 7 April 2011

Lucky for once.

Drove down to Rally Design today which is the nearest place to me (I think) that stocks performance brake fluid. Picked up 1.3 litres of Wilwood 570 so that I could have another go at bleeding the brakes. On the way back, I dropped into Dan Taylor of Taylor TVR to book the car in for a geometry check. This is necessary because I've changed pretty well every component of the suspension that would affect the geometry. So in I go and talk to Colin, who said they were taking bookings for June! I was staggered! I asked if there was anywhere else I could go to get it done, and he went off and got Dan. Dan asked how I was fixed for Saturday, and then for this afternoon. I said fine, OK, I just need to bleed the brakes and then I'd be back. I then asked him to write in his diary that this was work needed for the MOT so that I could legally drive without an MOT, and he said that coincidentally the MOT place he uses had no bookings that dayy because they'd can'd them all because of some new machine that would be fitted that day. As it happened, they'd had it fitted earlier in the week, and therefore they had a free day. So it was looking like I could get the geometry and the MOT done in one hit.

I shot off home and got the car back up in the air, and bled the brakes (again). They felt much better so then I drove off back to Taylor TVR. About two bends into the journey I had to get out of the car because it was trying to kill me. I realised on looking that the front end had the most toe out I'd ever seen on any car not involved in an RTA. Drove much more carefully to Taylor TVR, When I arrived there, we had the car on the lift, and then it was realised that I'd left the locking wheel nut key at home. Arse. Fortunately the MOT bloke had a tool that circumvents this, otherwise that would have severely tested my sense of humour. Midway sorting out the geometry the MOT guy turns up and takes the car away. Rings a little while later and gets Dan up to his unit. Turns out that the door button on the passenger side is not working and that fails the MOT. Car turns up at Dan's unit, Dan hops out, fixes it in about 10 mins, and back it goes. Shortly it reappears, and Dan finishes off the geometry. As part of the adjustment, periodically the car has to be let down off the ramp and driven back and forth a bit to settle the suspension. Even though the wheels lock up a bit on the smooth floor of the workshop, Dan says the brakes are still a bit spongy.

I pay up and bugger off. My drive home is good, apart from it's now 5.30pm, and there's lots of traffic about. So I have to move slowly (bad) and lots of people see how utterly filthy the car is (bad). Did a little bit of sticking my foot in it, which was great. The car was transformed from when I took it to Dan's (which it should be). It's been that long since I drove it that I don't know how much better it is now than before! Annoying, but overall it does feel very tight and stiff. The brakes seem pretty fierce in spite of what Dan said, however, I still have enough fluid, so I'll do one more bleeding session tomorrow. I guess that this is something I didn't really know before. You can bleed the brakes, drive it a bit, bleed again, and so on, and for a couple of goes, the brakes will get better.

Going to clean the car tomorrow, and then I'll take some more pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers