Saturday 8 March 2014

Trigger Wheel Part 2

Well, it's on.

Pretty straightforward, even for a proper lathe beginner like me. It's feels good, though, to be a total novice, but still able to do something that's useful.

Here's the damper with the register cut in it:



It's sitting on the freezer in the garage. I popped it in there for a short while just to cool it down and get it to shrink a tiny bit.


I ended up buying two verniers after my cheap one let me down. They are identical, except one is  a 6" and one a 12. Hope these are better. They're made of stainless, so hopefully good enough.

I also put the trigger wheel itself on the hot ring of our Aga. It kind of changed colour a bit. Not sure why.


Anyway it did the trick - I didn't take a photo illustrating this, but with both the components at the same temp, they would not go together. But doing the heat one/cool the other thing worked a treat:


See what I mean about the colour change?


I've been thinking about how to test this out, and I guess I have the perfect thing - I can spin this in the lathe and mount the sensor in the cross slide somehow and actually get the ECU to output the rpm.

Not much else to report - although this one has left me feeling pretty happy.

I'm still contemplating drilling and tapping the damper, and using machine screws to pin the wheel to the damper. I'll think more on it this week.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers