Monday 25 June 2012

Fabrication

Small update on the Enfield.

As can be seen in the post immediately below this one, the new carbs take up quite a bit more room than the old Amals, and it means that the old battery/toolbox won't fit with them there:


The option was then to either bin the plan, or get creative. I chose the latter:


The 'thing' in the foreground is my efforts with paper, cardboard and masking tape. The object in the background is the new aluminium battery box.


The guy who did it is an absolute artist with metal. Probably better than an artist - a real craftsman. He had complete car bodies hanging up in his workshop. When I went to pick the battery box up, he was making some of the rear bodywork for an old Lamborghini.

With no money at the moment to do proper work on the bike (at least post paying for the work above), I have just tried to get the bike cleaner. It's much more pleasant working with clean bits!


Hopefully versus the first pic in the post, you can see the difference!

Although I don't really care what purists think - it's my bike after all - I will say that I don't plan to do anything that's not reversible, and I have stored all the original bits away carefully.

2 comments:

  1. That is looking REALLY good. There is always too much oroject at the end of the money....

    Keep chugging away mate!

    ReplyDelete

Followers