Friday 15 April 2011

Dusty bin.

Car is now fully legal having stumped up the necessary 215 quid to Mr Osbourne. The brake light switch didn't arrive from Racing Green (I thought the wishbones took a long time to get to me, but I overlooked that as I guess they may not be a stock item), so I got on the Pistonheads forum and asked about the part number. Now I've been rude about this forum before, but this time someone seemed to know something worth knowing! Turns out I actually have one of these on my Discovery II. Anyway it's apparently an Intermotor 51590, fitted to all sorts of Rover-esque cars. Because it is so flimsy and crap I thought it's bound to break on other cars so I called up a local motor factors who had one in stock. Why didn't I think of this before? Anyway, it turns out that it's close, but not exactly the same. A bit of araldite and a very small locknut to lengthen the plunger and we were away.

This is what the original looks like:

Photobucket

The new part is narrower in the body, and shorter in the plunger, but it will do. We'll see what the one from RG looks like when it turns up...

I took the car for a spin to get 65 quids 'worth' of Shell V-Power. Great fun. The brakes are fierce but predictable. Few little lock ups here and there (kind of embarrassing as the tyres chirrup and squeal) but really good. Pushed the car through a few bends, feels solid and controlled. Really nice. Bloke pulled into the petrol station after me having followed me for about 4 miles. Made nice comments about the car. Chuffed. The only thing I'm not 100% happy with are the seats. They feel just too small and lacking in support. Suppose I'll have to get used to it really - there's not much else that fits...

Interestingly, the new brakes/pad combination has added up to a fair bit of dust. Here's the back wheel:

Photobucket

which is fairly clean. And the front:

Photobucket

Yuk. Looks like they've been painted anthracite or something. If this is a permanent fixture, that might be the way forward - it doesn't look a bad colour, just that the backs and fronts don't match and look like completely different wheels.

Need to book track days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers